Husky Hitchhikers

Last night I picked up two hitchhikers at the corner of Union Lake and Commerce Road.  I know you are thinking “How does she get into these messes on a Thursday night” but it happened.

I was driving home from Brad’s birthday dinner with every intention of crawling into bed when I spotted two large fluffy balls of fur frolicking back and forth in the middle of the road.  Cars were slowing down and stopping and something in me knew I had to stop and help, especially since it appeared no one else was going to.  

These dogs were large but did not appear menacing.  I thought it might be prudent to test my theory so I rolled down the window in an attempt to establish a rapport just in case they were Cujo in disguise.  I figured that worst case scenario I would take a dog bite to the left arm and I would be able to get out of training for a few weeks.

As they ran up to the car at the sound of the word “treat” I knew I would be keeping my limbs but I was in this for the long haul.

I lured them into the van with Special K cereal that I stash in there to keep me out of the McDonalds drive-thru.  In they hopped, ignored my cereal dumped in the van and got comfortable.

I took off  their collars to find out who they belonged to and called the number.  A very happy voice came on the machine but no one was home.  Great.  Just what I needed  It’s midnight and I have two large dogs in my van.  I tried several more times with no answer so I did what anyone does when they need help.  I called 911.  I would call them and they would send someone to get these dogs home and I would be in bed very soon.

Turns out they don’t send someone.  They told me to take them 45 minutes away and place them in an outdoor cage at the Animal Rescue or I could take them home with me.  I could just imagine how happy Hoosier would be when I returned home with two large dogs.  I tried to mentally picture the four of us in my queen size bed..

I decided since 911 hadn’t helped much I would call 411. The operator who turned out to be more helpful than the police listened to my whole dog story and was very sympathetic .  She did a reverse search for the phone number and gave me the address.  It was just a mile away so me and my new canine companions headed out.  When I arrived the garage was open but there was no answer to my repeated knocks and door bell rings.  Of course I had on my new Nine West boots and not snow boots because snow boots are ugly.  As I began to lose feeling in my toes I was rethinking my position on fashion over function.

Back in the van the dog showed no signs that they were home.  They didn’t try to get out of the van they just sat and waited.  Now I was really in a conundrum.  I could place the dogs inside but what if  this wasn’t their house.  I had discovered in the Christmas card debacle of 2012 that the yellow pages don’t always have the most up to date addresses.  I lost $2.70 in postage in that gamble.

Back at the front door to ring again and hopefully rouse the owners I was greeted by a cat.  Crap! Now I really couldn’t leave these dogs in this house.  I could imagine the owners coming home to find their house ransacked and their cat missing.  Morning would find the police tracking my worn tire tracks and charging me with burglary with a canine.  All I could see was me sitting in the courthouse with Kwame.  Not a good outcome. There is no air conditioning and they don’t let you color your hair in prison.  That knowledge has saved many lives I am sure.

So here I sat in my van with these two dogs and it was closing in on midnight.  As the feeling came back in my toes I decided I would give it one more try at the door.  If no one answered my only course of action would be me and three dogs snuggled in my bed for what was left of the night.

As I rang the door bell for the last time I peered in the window.  Luckily there was a photo of some kids and one of the dogs on the table.  They did belong here after all!!!

I herded them quickly into the house and they turned to look at me like “aren’t you coming in?” because by now we had bonded.

As I was getting ready to back out and finally head home their owner showed up.  He was so happy to have his dogs back that it made my frozen feet and fear of prosecution all worth while.  I know how much I love my dog and his family loved these dogs as well.  The night ended with big hugs and relief on both our parts that his dogs were in his home and not mine.

This was my Thursday night.  Can’t wait to see what the weekend brings.


Hello! I'm a midlife maniac managing my mother, his mother, our kids, and one diva dog! During the day I am a Certified Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia Care Trainer, Certified Dementia Practioner, and a Certified Montessori Dementia Care Professional. In my spare time, I love to make funny TikTok videos (Kim Reynolds Media) and write and perform.


February 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I am so glad you found the poor dog’s home.

February 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Love the story. As the owner of the “2 large fluffy balls of furr” and the guy on the hunt to find the dogs (which explains why I wasn’t home)it is fun to read how the rescue occurred. Kim, can’t thank-you enough for saving my dogs. Keep living the “Crazy Life”.

February 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hmmmm…Kim…anymore adventures from the gym???? What kind of work outs are you missing???? We miss you!

Comments are closed.